Sunday 12 July 2009

Mr White (suit)

Just purchased these fill-ums (that's how you're allowed to pronounce it when you're from Glasgow) from Borders for a bargain basement 4.99. In actual fact I've just got to the till and there's another quid off Reservoir Dogs.

Now, I'm not suggesting there's any link between these films. I bought the Alec Guinness 'classic' (I put the punctuation in because it says classic on the box but I've not seen it yet so I feel underqualified to comment) purely on a whim.

I've heard of The Man In The White Suit of course and, as much as he always protested that hehated the film and being associated with it, I've always had great affection for Mr. Guinness since he played Obi Wan Kenobi in the original - and best - Star Wars fill-um, but (I was talking about a link) what struck me as I sat looking at the cases over a rubbish, lukewarm, overpriced latte in the in-store Starbucks was that the covers are almost photo negatives of each other.

I didn't say it was an interesting thought. What might be interesting though would be to see gangsters carrying out heists and honour killings whilst wearing white suits. That would just seem all wrong wouldn't it? Less Martin Scorcese, more Marty Hopkirk.

No comments: