Thursday 14 May 2009

Nostalgic pavements...

Right. Music. Again.

I love music, me. Without going into huge, detailed and undoubtedly boring explanations of the whys and hows, I bought loads of the stuff last weekend at the excellent Europa Music in Stirling and some at the not quite so excellent (but they had what I was after) HMV, also in Stirling. I mean, it's not as if I'd travel somewhere different just to visit a chain store.

For the princely sum of £19, I left Europa with Through The Past Darkly and Jump Back by the Stones, The Singles by the criminally neglected Bluetones and lastly the magnificent Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not by The Arctic Monkeys. All excellent. All cheap. Bob is indeed my uncle.

HMV (for 98pence more) supplied me with the latest offerings from King Creosote and Dan Auerbach. KC's is a bit of a grower but good nonetheless whilst Dan does a kind of pared down version of his Black Keys incarnation. Really nice, almost acoustic blues.



I digress. In Inverness the other week I heard a song in a cafe. I immediately recognised the voice as belonging to a certain female artiste that I thought I didn't like. I don't know why I thought I disliked her. No sound reasoning, no rationale. This arbitrary opinion forming is, is it not, what makes talking about musical tastes so interesting.

Anyway, the song sounded great and was very - and here I'm going to sound very middle-aged - catchy. Sorry, but it was. And is.

With a free Amazon voucher burning a hole in my inbox, I bought the album. Almost "on spec" and do you know what? It's one of the best things I've ever heard. Lyrically it's something of a masterpiece - the idea of nostalgic pavements and the magnificent line "you said I must eat so many lemons, 'cos I am so bitter, I said I'd rather be with your friends mate 'cos they are much fitter" being just two from a whole CD-full.

The artiste in question? Here she is, enjoy this great song and brilliant video...



No comments: